Sunday, June 30, 2013

All Quiet on the Malak Front...Week 14

G'day everyone!
 
I wish I could be more excited today (this week was a VERY good week) but as it turns out, transfers have proven to be bittersweet and have left me feeling very nervous and anxious and fearful (faith and fear cannot co-exist so I'm working on that right now). Elder Lacanivalu is getting transferred down south, and he's the only one leaving the zone. Another missionary will be coming up with the sisters and senior couple in three days, so I'll spend the next three days proselyting with the Nakara elders, and then I'll return to my flat with my new companion. Chances are he's an older missionary with a lot of experience under his belt, which will make this next transfer very interesting- I'll probably remain as the Junior companion, but the Malak area is mainly my responsibility. He will most likely be the Senior companion and trainer, thus he'll be "in charge" of running the outfit and finishing my training, but when it comes to planning and making appointments, the burden will rest with me. This is why I am so nervous and anxious and fearful.
 
The Malak area consists of very condensed neighborhoods that more or less has no structured layout; every house looks the same (unless it's in Leanyer, in which case it's much fancier); there are no noticeable landmarks (save for a few parks and two shopping centers); and the only way to know where you are in the world is if you've come to one of four major roads. In short, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being having a very good knowledge of the area and its layout) I rate myself at a solid 3 1/2. I can find a few places, and I can get to a few less-active's and investigators, but for the most part, I still am pretty lost in the world. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but as it is, we found three young families to teach this week, and a number of other new investigators throughout the area. Now you may be asking "Why is that bad?" and it's not, but it does cause me great feelings of concern- the Malak area is MY area, and the Lord has charged me with bringing those who live in this area back unto Him, should they recieve the message of His restored gospel. That being said, those that have accepted return appointments are now under my charge and are my responsibility, and I will be held accountable for how well I help them along the way. What happens if I can't find them again? Ask me if I'm worried...
 
I'm trying to put into my mind my companion's counsel that he gave me last night: this is the Lord's work, and He will do as He sees fit. Thus, I've decided that even if my new companion and I ride around Malak all day trying to find old addresses, the Lord has His purposes for the Malak area and that's all there is to it. I don't know what He has in mind, but He knows, and that's good enough for me.
 
As far as the week goes, we smashed it! We blew our weekly goals out of the air and exceeded several of them (25 potentials, 6 new investigators, and 2 baptismal dates just to name a few of the successes). Missionary work is really hard, but it is also the Lord's work, and we're entitled to His help with it. He really has blessed us this week, and I'm very excited to teach all of the new families we've found (assuming we find them again).
 
Cheers!
 
-Elder Schomburg

No comments:

Post a Comment